The Importance Of Women In The Church
The Creator’s View of Women
by Jim Poitras
The creation story depicts Adam and Eve, the first husband and wife, as partners. They were created in the image of God and given dominion over the earth (Genesis 1:27-28).
Man was created first and served in a leadership role in the family. The woman was his helper. This did not mean that she was less important or inferior to him. God is also described as our helper. (See Psalms 33:20; 70:5; 115:9.) The man and woman lived a life of interdependence (depending on each other). The woman brought balance to the man, making him complete.
Matthew Henry comments, “If man is the head, she (woman) is the crown, a crown to her husband . . . The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.”
Jesus’ View of Women
Jesus lived in this setting. However, He dealt with women differently than what was ordinary in His day. He displayed an open attitude of acceptance toward them and welcomed them as learners (Luke 10:38-42).
Women often traveled with Jesus. They quickly accepted His teachings (Luke 8:1-3).
Interestingly, women were among the last to leave the cross (Matthew 27:55-56), and they were the first to the tomb. (Matthew 28:1) A woman was the first messenger of the Resurrection (Matthew 28:8-10).
Jesus’ understanding and consideration of women sets an example for normal Christian living.
There is no record in the Gospels of any woman ever opposing Jesus. They tended to be more sensitive to spiritual things.
Download the complete 12 page article on The Importance of Women In The Church.
Please enter your email address here.
You will receive the article automatically
God Bless You!
< — Take time to share using the share button to the left
- What is Life-Long Learning? - October 5, 2017
- How to Make the Most of Lifelong Learning - March 9, 2017
- Why You Should Be A Lifelong Learner - February 9, 2017
- Tips for Cultivating Curiosity - January 9, 2017
- How to Make Lifelong Learning a Priority - December 9, 2016
- Perceived Obstacles to Lifelong Learning - November 9, 2016
- Social Influence – Lesson 5 - October 15, 2016
- Join Up! - October 11, 2016
- Bible Project – Genesis - October 5, 2016
- Strategies Of The Proverbs Women - October 5, 2016