“Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” (Matthew 5:6)
Have you ever been hungry for physical food? Maybe for some reason you went through an entire day, or week, without eating anything substantial. You may have gone through periods of fasting. In any case, you will know what physical hunger feels like. It can be quite an experience as the physical body has many ways to send signals that it needs food. In most cases, the only thing that can alleviate that hunger is physical food. The same can be said of being thirsty. We can be malnourished for lack of food and dehydrated for lack of water. Both conditions can have adverse effects and the body, or may even lead to physical death. In the same way, we can be spiritually malnourished or dehydrated.
So here is Jesus, in the famous Sermon on the Mount, and He is saying if you hunger and thirst for righteousness, you will be filled. This is a very interesting juxtaposition for us to consider.
We all desire to be filled, at some point or other in our lives, and in some way or the other. In many instances, we seek to fill that void we feel inside with earthly things, when what we truly desire deep inside our souls is God. We were created to desire God.
In today’s world, there are many casual Christians who just go through the motions of religion daily. We have learned to ‘do’ church and ‘do’ Christianity with no real zeal or motivation. For so many Christians, living for God has been reduced to two hours on a Sunday morning. We now tithe our time, and give God 10%, while using the other 90% for our own pleasure.
A careful examination of our church history will reveal that on many occasions, Christianity became routine and lukewarm just prior to a revival breaking forth. There is a call in our churches for us to learn the true nature of Jesus Christ, the value of His sacrifice, the power embedded in His resurrection, and the reality of who we are in Him right now.
There is just something about God that cannot be replaced. We may go to food when we are discouraged, disappointed, or stressed, but does food really truly satisfy us? We may run to sin for comfort and satisfaction, but can sin really give us fulfillment?
Jesus once met a Samaritan woman at a well. He asked her for water. She was confused as culturally a Jew was not allowed to socialize with Samaritans. Jesus was not interested in the water that she could give, but He wanted to give her living water that He knew she needed. He made this profound statement that accompanied His offer, “but whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” (John 4:14 – KJV)
You don’t need to be hungry and thirsty. God desires to fill you to overflowing. He wants to satisfy your soul with heavenly bread and living water.
Will you declare like Paul, “That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;” (Philippians 3:10 – KJV)?
- What is Life-Long Learning? - October 5, 2017
- How to Make the Most of Lifelong Learning - March 9, 2017
- Why You Should Be A Lifelong Learner - February 9, 2017
- Tips for Cultivating Curiosity - January 9, 2017
- How to Make Lifelong Learning a Priority - December 9, 2016
- Perceived Obstacles to Lifelong Learning - November 9, 2016
- Social Influence – Lesson 5 - October 15, 2016
- Join Up! - October 11, 2016
- Bible Project – Genesis - October 5, 2016
- Strategies Of The Proverbs Women - October 5, 2016