Spiritual Warfare – Lesson 6
The Call To Spiritual Warfare
Acts 26:12-18, “Whereupon as I went to Damascus with authority and commission from the chief priests, At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.”
A Deeper Look Into the “CALL TO WAR”
Acts 26:16-18 (YLT) to open their eyes, to turn [them] from darkness to light, and [from] the authority of the Adversary unto God, for their receiving forgiveness of sins, and a lot among those having been sanctified, by faith that [is] toward me.
Acts 26:16-18 (Wuest’s Translation) I will send you on a mission to open their eyes that they may turn from darkness to light and from the authority of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith which is in me.
Acts 26:16-18 (GWT) You will open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light and from Satan’s control to God’s. Then they will receive forgiveness for their sins and a share among God’s people who are made holy by believing in me.
Paul was called, and sent as a minister with a specific purpose.
- To open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light – (Revelation)
- To turn them from the power of Satan unto God – (Deliverance)
- That they may receive forgiveness of sins – (Salvation)
- That they may become heirs of the promise – (Fellowship)
It is vitally important to recognize and respond to the “call” – (a feeling that a particular job or way of life is a personal duty, a demand or obligation that somebody has to fulfill)
- Luke 4:18, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; (SALVATION) he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, (FELLOWSHIP) to preach deliverance to the captives, (DELIVERANCE) and recovering of sight to the blind, (REVEALTION) to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.”
- Mark 6:7, “And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;”
- 2 Peter 2:9-11, “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;”
The Primary Purpose Of Spiritual Warfare Is To Set The Captives FREE!
The Lord’s primary method of salvation, (Calvary), was also a major victory in “Spiritual Warfare.” Colossians 2:14-15 reads, “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.”
Calvary fulfilled a two-fold purpose:
Ephesians 4:8, “But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.”
- To provide grace and gifts
- To lead captivity captive