20 Reasons Not To Sin 6-10
6. Sin Steals Joy
- Never underestimate the importance of JOY!
- Nehemiah 8:10 – For the joy of the LORD is your strength.
- Psalm 16:11 – In thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
- Proverbs 17:22, NLT – A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.
- Proverbs 18:14, NLT – The human spirit can endure a sick body, but who can bear it if the spirit is crushed?
- Sin bursts the bubble of joy and breaks communion with God.
- “Joy is the most infallible sign of the presence of God.”
- Sin steals something that all the pleasure and money in the world can’t buy. What fleshly pleasure is worth such a loss?
7. Sin Steals Our Confidence Before God
- Sin steals all purity and innocence, making us uneasy with people and uncomfortable with God.
- A man who just betrayed his best friend for the sake of a business deal and now can’t look him in the eye … the new believer who got drunk last night and came to church today drained of enthusiasm … the sister who has no power to rebuke the devil’s attack because months of perverse TV shows have drained her authority.
- The devil doesn’t flee from someone who is participating in sin – no matter how loud they pray! But the good news is that we CAN live in such a way that we have confidence before God.
- I’d rather be confident than cowering, pressing forward than shrinking back, living clean than standing condemned, choosing purity instead of pollution!
8. The Wages of Sin is Death
- There is only one way in which sin is faithful – its reward is always death. Unfortunately, sin never shares this secret with you!
- Instead, sin promises riches, fame, pleasure, fulfillment and power. And while you may experience some of these along the way, they are only fleeting, lasting at best just a few decades.
- And then the real payday comes, and the results are always the same – DEATH, both natural and spiritual.
- ACTUALLY, SIN BRINGS DEATH RIGHT FROM THE START – It always kills something in us when we transgress. It assaults our sensitivity, trashes our conscience, mauls our willpower, and defiles our soul. You could almost say that every time we sin, something in us dies. Then, at the end of the road, sin pays up with eternal death.
- Galatians 6:7-8 – Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
9. God Will Punish Sinners (in this world and the world to come)
- God has established unchangeable laws of sowing and reaping, so that everything we do has consequences for better or for worse.
- Smoking leads to lung cancer … alcoholism leads to cirrhosis of the liver … promiscuity leads to STDs … obesity leads to heart disease … the consequences alone should keep us from sin!
- But sin is not only rewarded by God’s “passive principles” – God Himself actively judges sinners – the Lord cuts them down!
- There are lots of consequences to our sins, like prison sentences, broken homes and sick bodies … but all those pale in comparison with God’s holy judgment. Who can stand when his gavel falls?
10. Sin Hurts the Lord
- Maybe the image of an angry, vengeful God doesn’t mean much to you – after all, you call yourself a Christian! Hell’s flames do not scare you. But sometimes you still struggle with sin.
- Maybe this will help – when you sin, you wound your Savior and spit in His face, making a mockery of His love.
- How this should stop us from sinning! Can’t you feel God’s pain?
- “Sin is the dare of God’s justice, the rape of His mercy, the jeer of His patience, the slight of His power, and the contempt of His love.” – John Bunyan
- “Does He still feel the nails every time I fail? Can He hear the crowd cry ‘Crucify!’ again? Am I causing Him pain? Then I know I’ve got to change. I just can’t bear the thought of hurting Him.” – Ray Boltz
- What is Life-Long Learning? - October 5, 2017
- How to Make the Most of Lifelong Learning - March 9, 2017
- Why You Should Be A Lifelong Learner - February 9, 2017
- Tips for Cultivating Curiosity - January 9, 2017
- How to Make Lifelong Learning a Priority - December 9, 2016
- Perceived Obstacles to Lifelong Learning - November 9, 2016
- Social Influence – Lesson 5 - October 15, 2016
- Join Up! - October 11, 2016
- Bible Project – Genesis - October 5, 2016
- Strategies Of The Proverbs Women - October 5, 2016