Handling My Humanity
What Is Sin?
A STEP (THE LINE)
- 1 John 3:4 – Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
- Psalm 19:13 – Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
A SLIP (THE BANANA PEEL)
- Leviticus 5:17-19 – And if a soul sin, and commit any of these things which are forbidden to be done by the commandments of the LORD; though he wist it not, yet is he guilty … he hath certainly trespassed against the LORD.
- Matthew 6:14-15 – For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
A SEPARATION (THE WEDGE)
- Isaiah 59:2 – But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
- Matthew 7:21-23 – Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven … And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
A SHORTFALL (THE CANYON)
- Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
- Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
“I’m not doing anything really sinful”
- 1 John 5:17 – “All unrighteousness is sin …”
“I don’t want to leave my sin yet”
- James 4:17 – “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”
“I don’t believe what the Bible says about sin”
- Romans 14:23 – “… for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.”
SO WHY THEN DO WE SIN?
- Why is it that we fall into the same traps over and over again?
- Why is it that we believe the same lies long after they have been exposed?
- Why is it that we make a habit of doing wrong – even when we desire what is right?
- Could it be that we never step back and look at the lasting consequences of sin?
- Could it be that sin tastes so good – even if it is only for a moment – that we forget how rotten it makes us feel when we digest it?
- Could it be that Satan has done such a good job of packaging the poison that we drink it because of the bright shiny label?
- Could it be that the beginning of the story is so alluring, so appealing, so sensual, so seductive that we are blinded to the horrible, tragic end?
THERE IS ONLY ONE REASON! WE DO NOT SEE SIN THE WAY GOD SEES IT
My son, attend to wisdom, bend your ear to knowledge, that caution may be your safeguard, and prudence may take care of you; keep hold of caution and sound sense, that they may save you from the loose woman: her lips drop honied words, her talk is smoother than oil itself, but the end with her is bitter as poison, sharp as a sword with double edge; her feet go down to Death, her steps lead straight to the grave. (Proverbs 5:1-5)
SIN IS THE SEDUCTRESS!
- She promised satisfaction and fulfillment
- But outward looks can be very deceiving
- The double-edged sword stabs both the user and the used!
Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaints? Who has needless bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? Thos who linger over wine, who go to sample bowls of mixed wine. Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper. (Proverbs 23:29-32)
WINE IS A MOCKER!
- The very image of joy and celebration, it sparkles in the cup
- But look again: grown men lying in their own vomit, dignified women sleeping with crude strangers, carpets stained with blood from a fistfight over nothing – the sparkling drink has fangs!
- But that is just the beginning – look again in a few months or years: jobs have been lost, marriages torn apart, children beaten by fathers in a drunken rage – liquor is a thief and murderer
- Just ask the husband who lost the wife of his dreams to a vehicle swinging out of control because the driver had to have one more drink before he went home.
- THERE IS NOTHING MORE HATEFUL THAN SIN AND ITS FRUIT!
My son, keep your father’s commands and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. Bind them upon your heart forever; fasten them around your neck. When you walk, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; when you awake, they will speak to you. For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life, keeping you from the immoral woman, from the smooth tongue of the wayward wife. (Proverbs 6:20-23)
THAT IS WHY THE WORD NEVER TIRES OF GIVING US WARNINGS, SHOWING US HOW TO AVOID TEMPTATION!
Do not lust in your heart after her beauty or let her captivate you with her eyes, for the prostitute reduces you to a loaf of bread, and the adulteress preys upon your very life. (Proverbs 6:25-26)
Can a man scoop fire into his lap without his clothes being burned? Can a man walk on hot coals without his feet being scorched? (Proverbs 6:27-28)
- If you play with fire, you WILL be burned.
- If you play with sin, you WILL be destroyed.
- It’s NEVER worth it in the end!
The Word of God has given us the antidote!
- There are truths that can save lives from destruction.
- There are principles that can snatch souls from Hell’s grasp.
- BUT THESE TRUTHS MUST BE APPLIED!
- You can burn to death in sight of a fire escape
- You can die of a snake bite with the antivenin on a shelf
- You can drown within reach of a life preserver
- THE WAY OF ESCAPE MUST BE PURSUED!
- What is Life-Long Learning? - October 5, 2017
- How to Make the Most of Lifelong Learning - March 9, 2017
- Why You Should Be A Lifelong Learner - February 9, 2017
- Tips for Cultivating Curiosity - January 9, 2017
- How to Make Lifelong Learning a Priority - December 9, 2016
- Perceived Obstacles to Lifelong Learning - November 9, 2016
- Social Influence – Lesson 5 - October 15, 2016
- Join Up! - October 11, 2016
- Bible Project – Genesis - October 5, 2016
- Strategies Of The Proverbs Women - October 5, 2016